Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)¶
The Aergo smart contract engine has rich SQL support and is compatible with JDBC adapters. With this you can connect to a smart contract just like any other traditional SQL database.
The JDBC adapter removes the need for creating and sending blockchain transactions manually. Instead, you can run SQL queries directly.
- Download the required JDBC adapter and Lua smart contract from github.com/aergoio/aergojdbc
- Compile and deploy the smart contract on a Aergo network that supports SQL operations (private networks or the public Alpha network at alpha-api.aergo.io). The deployed smart contract acts as your database instance on the blockchain.
- Use a JDBC compatible software, such as the database connection in Eclipse or SQuirrelSQL, and connect using the provided adapter, an encrypted private key, and password.
- Driver: aergo-jdbc-version.jar, org.aergojdbc.JDBC
jdbc:aergo:<aergo node ip>:<port>@<jdbc contract address>
- User: encrypted private key
- Password: passphrase used to encrypt private key
- Maximum response size: 4mb. If the resulting amount of data exceeds this size, adjust the fetch size using Statement.setFetchSize (default: 10 rows).
- Sqlite: Since the SQL engine in Aergo is Sqlite, only operations supported by Sqlite are possible.
- Unsupported features:
- Transaction commit, rollback: transactions always auto commit
- Scrollable cursor